17 8 / 2012
15 8 / 2012
14 8 / 2012
08 8 / 2012
30 7 / 2012
27 7 / 2012
1.) Ticket sales are open online for the Pink Martini on Sept. 18th! Click here to purchase yours!
2.) We are having a Facebook contest! Visit our page at: www.facebook.com/KomenSuncoast, share our page with your friends (worth 1 point), and have a friend like our page and tell us that you sent them (worth 2 points per friend). Whoever has the most points by next Friday, August 3rd wins this really cool watch!
27 7 / 2012
26 7 / 2012
Our intern, Shelby, started our Tumblr for us this summer, and unfortunately, she has to go back to college now. So….
I’ll be updating our Tumblr with all the Komen-y goodness you’ve come to love over the past few months. My name is Katy and I am the Grants & Mission Outreach Coordinator at the the Florida Suncoast Affiliate. I manage our Community Health Grants program, all of our breast cancer outreach and education initiatives, and I dabble in social media and special events on the side. =)
One of the projects I’m working on right now is for our 14th Annual Race for the Cure. The Kid’s for the Cure activities have always been popular at our Race. What’s not to like? Kids 10 and under receive admission to the Race for only $10, get to do fun activities in the Kid’s Tent, and participate in an ADORABLE dash towards the end of the Race.
With Marvel as a new Komen National partner — they are turning their comic books pink for the month of October and including breast cancer education info inside — we in the office thought it would be really neat to make the Kid’s Activities a Superhero theme. Like, say, Superheroes Fighting Breast Cancer! Kid’s for the Cure was created in the first place to educate kids about breast cancer and support those who had been touched by breast cancer. Here’s my thinking: superheroes are the regular Joes who have a special power to help fight something bad in the world; if we can help kids channel some of that feeling of power in a fight against a disease that is both complicated to understand and intensely difficult on those who have it, then we have done a good thing.
Oh, and did I mention the cute factor?
Imagine for me if you will, a sea of kids decked out in pink superhero capes, masks, and arm cuffs, smiling and running down the street at Race for the Cure on a crisp, sunny October morning in St. Pete. You don’t even have to be a “kid person” to visualize how funny, inspiring, and, yes my catchphrase of the post, adorable, that will be. If that doesn’t make you smile, it is quite possible that your heart is three sizes too small. (Just Kidding….I’m feeling very Christmas-in-July today and felt like making a Grinch reference. I’m sure you’re a perfectly nice person).
If you want to help us make our Superhero theme a reality, here’s what you can do to help:
- We need your toilet paper rolls. Seriously. We at the office found a way to make superhero arm cuffs out of toilet paper rolls (look on Pinterest if you don’t believe me)! The kids would be able to decorate their own. If you have some to donate, email us at email@example.com
- Help us make capes prior to Race day. We found a way to make superhero capes of out t-shirts (yes, yes, we love to Pin), and we just happen to have quite a few leftover shirts from last year’s Race. If you’re interested in helping us, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will let you know when we will be working on this.
- Register yourself and your Kids for the Race! What we really need is your support. 75% of the money we raise at Race stays local to help fund our Community Health Grants program. These programs help underserved women and men have access to breast cancer screening, treatment, and education. The other 25% goes to Komen National’s Research Grants Program, funding groundbreaking breast cancer research around the world. You can register online at www.komensuncoast.org. Thanks!
19 7 / 2012
Hey everyone this year’s Florida Suncoast Race for the Cure is turning their “Kids for the Cure” booth into a super hero station, so that kids can help fight against breast cancer with the rest of us! In order to turn these awesome kids into super heroes we need your help by collecting toilet paper and paper towel rolls which will be used to make super hero cuffs. All kids will have the opportunity to paint them however they like and wear them during the race. Please show your support by collecting 10 or more rolls. Once you have collected all of your rolls, shoot us an email at email@example.com and we can set up a time and place to pick them up! By helping the kids you can be a super hero too!
19 7 / 2012